My old fridge broke down, and I am getting a new one but this one does not have a water/ice dispenser. I turned off the water line to my appartment to disconnect the old fridge, but before I can turn it back on I need to cap it somehow? Is there something I can use? Attached is the picture of what it looks like

enter image description here

  • 2
    Why would you turn it back on? Just leave it off... That valve only feeds the fridge, just turn that white valve to off and leave it.
    – Ron Beyer
    Commented Apr 1, 2019 at 14:54
  • Ah. I'm having trouble moving the white valve, the entire unit seems to move as opposed to it shutting off
    – Acanella
    Commented Apr 1, 2019 at 15:02
  • @RonBeyer is correct in that you only need to turn the valve off. They can stick a bit so they will require some force. You'll need to support the outlet part as you turn the handle. Commented Apr 1, 2019 at 15:22

2 Answers 2


Probably a 1/4" cap, but buy plenty of different sizes and return what you don't use. Use teflon tape on the threads.

You might also try grabbing the valve with slip joint pliers and turning the white lever.

It would be better if you could disconnect/cap at the source, but if it's a rental, I'd understand your reluctance.


I capped mine. I wrapped it with plumbers tape, then capped it with a 1/4" cap from Home Depot.

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Thanks for the answer; keep 'em coming. And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to contribute here. Commented Aug 7, 2019 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.