I have to replace a 50 year old backyard bib and I don't know if it screws out or if the faucet was originally soldered on the the 1/2 " tube.

What is the best way to approach this?

Below is a picture of the exterior view. The inside view is just the tube going into a wood sill board.

I haven't done any soldering in 20 years and I'm wondering if there's now an easier way of doing this project.

Should I just cut a 12" length of the existing copper supply tube and solder a new 12" assembly (faucet & soldered 12" replacement) and sliding it through the existing exterior hole and then soldering them with a copper union?

Or is there an easier way to join copper these days (ferruled compression fittings, etc.)?

enter image description here

  • Provlima, you have asked many questions and have resolved none of them. Please take the tour and respond to your plethora of volunteer helpers with votes and accepts before posting more questions. – isherwood Jan 12 at 14:03

If you have access, I would put in a new frost free (the valve seat is at the end of a rod.

Frost free sillcock.

This particular one allows you to thread it on, or solder it on. Lowes.

If you don't have a frost problem, this is still probably the easiest way to get the connection where you can work on it.

Note: Whenever I have to repair something, I also put in a shut off valve, figuring that if I have to repair it once, I will likely have to again.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.