I'm in the process of buying a flat which is set in the grounds of an 18th century hospital which, as such, is a listed development (under British legislation). The flats are managed by a Management Company who look after the structural integrity and preservation of the development.

My question is; do I still need to arrange a full structural survey, bearing in mind that grounds are preserved and maintained by the management company?

  • ...appreciate that this sort of question seems to uncommon here - happy to take on feedback if it should be posted elsewhere :) – J Smith Mar 26 '19 at 13:07
  • do they provide indemnity? if so, I wouldn't worry about a survey... – dandavis Mar 26 '19 at 16:39
  • You never need a survey to buy any property under English law. However, most mortgage lenders will require one before they lend. You should ask your lender - assuming you are borrowing. – Chenmunka Mar 26 '19 at 18:23

This depends on how old the flat itself is, and what it's built of.

If it were actually in an 18th Century listed building, then you should definately have a full structural survey and also a specialist asbestos report as there could easily be asbestos remaining in the structure.

If it's a new development in the grounds, then treat as any other flat of the same age and structure. Management companies are not always well-run, they may not always be assertive enough at getting money to pay for maintenance, and the building may have been under-maintained for years.

Also check exactly what the listing encompasses and your responsibility for contributing to maintenance of the 18th Century building as listed building work can be very expensive - and a criminal offence if a listed building is altered or damaged without permission.

  • +1 for acknowledging maintenance is an issue for longevity of structural integrity. – Lee Sam Mar 26 '19 at 22:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.