I want to put up a stud wall to make a walk in wardrobe. I want to get a flush joint against the wall but I have some molding across the top. I was wondering if there is an approach to cutting a grove/slot in it without removing it, it's quite a long piece 15+ foot so ideally I want it to stay where it is.

  • When you say "flush" do you actually mean "tight"? They aren't the same. – isherwood Mar 25 '19 at 16:04

One approach to this problem would be to use an oscillating tool, of which there are many brands available. Different blade options are provided with the tool, including a toothsome flat blade with a square face.

Home Depot is one source of these tools and blades:

home depot blade selection

It won't necessarily be fast, but it will be a clean cut (depending on operator skill). If you need a cheap solution, Harbor Freight is likely to be a good source. They have a twenty dollar (US) tool that does not specify that it comes with the cutter, but those are seven bucks each in the same location.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks for the info, might be a long trans Atlantic flight to pick up a small cutting tool :). I might look for something similar here in the UK. – ORStudios Mar 25 '19 at 15:16
  • Yes, it is likely that you will find what you require locally. The photos are representative of products you would purchase. I understand that there are Chinese product outlets in the UK. – fred_dot_u Mar 25 '19 at 15:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.