Currently right by the toilet in my bath there is a heating register on the floor. I want to build a small wall at the same location and have the heat exit out of the base of that wall.

Is there a way to do that is within code?

  • 1
    Sure. Heat supplies routinely exit walls. I believe it needs to be ducted (as opposed to returns, which can be virtually any cavity). Did you have a more specific question? – isherwood Mar 25 at 13:47

This should not be a problem. As far as I know, code concerns itself with how much airflow is available for each room, but whether it comes out of the floor or the wall shouldn't make a difference. All you need is something like this rectangular elbow:

enter image description here

As long as you can find the right size to match your existing ductwork, this is really easy. If you can't find the right size at a big box store then try an HVAC supplier - the place the HVAC techs go to get their parts. If you know exactly what you need, they should be happy to help.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.