The valve at the end of the supply line for my ice maker started leaking from that top. In trying to remove the valve, I twisted the copper supply line. The section of pipe is 6 inches, and the twist is right above a 90 degree elbow. I have a replacement valve, but I'm wondering if it would be okay to cut the elbow off and run a piece of flexible PVC from the copper line to the new valve using a compression fitting to join them. Are there any issues with this I'm not seeing?

1 Answer 1


You can use the Sharkbite or Gatorbite connectors as a junction for copper and PVC. Sharkbite and Gatorbite connectors are "snap together" connectors available at Lowes or HomeDepot, you can put copper in one side and PVC in another.

  • In researching SharkBite, I found that my initial idea is not code compliant being inside a wall. SharkBite is allowed in the wall, so I will use that with CPVC instead of flexible PVC.
    – Joseph
    Commented Sep 3, 2010 at 3:52
  • 1
    Use PEX if it is code in your area. Also, be very careful with how you cut the copper -- SharkBite needs a clean cut. Commented Sep 5, 2010 at 1:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.