I just connected a new ceiling fan with lights and the lights and fan won't turn on. I tried to hunt down the problem and used a non contact voltage detector and the voltage does flow to the wires on the light kit but the lights do not turn on. The switch should be fine, since it's brand new and was working with a different fixture before. Any suggestions?
There was a drop in voltage to the whole circuit (97v instead of 120v). After inspecting the wire run from load center to room wiring, I found that the hot and neutral wiring pig tails were loose and needed to be secured. After adjusting the wiring and testing with a multimeter, I wired the ceiling fan + lights and they started working.