The gate in my carport is falling apart, having been built very poorly by the previous home owner. The quote to replace from a reputable firm is $2,850.
I'm wondering, given the posts are already present, how hard would it be for a complete novice to (me) to re-build this properly? Does this seem doable?
Some questions for anyone whose built a gate like this:
- Would two hinges plus a diagonal wood brace be sufficient to prevent dragging? (WIDTH: 11' 6'' Double Swing)
- Do I build the two frames first, mount them, then attach the boards as shown? or assemble it all first then attach?
- For the frame, do I have to use a fancy joint style or can I simply screw the pieces together?
- Does the length of the hinge matter? Will it help prevent sagging if longer?
- Not seeing many plans online for this style fence. Any general tips?