Not quite home-improvement, however the engineering question lends itself to the expertise of the fine folks in this forum.

I am interested in pressurizing a hopper of tennis balls with a device like:


I would like the device to be limited to 12 PSI, so I am thinking a pressure relief valve for safety and that for simplicity, an electric pump to bring the pressure to 12 PSI and shut off automagically at the target presure.

Is there a simple and inexpensive control mechanism that can cut off the electric pump when it reaches the target pressure. Ideally one could 'dial in' the target pressure.

The goal is for the non-technical tennis player is able to quickly / easily / SAFELY pressurize and depressurize the container.

  • 3
    So not home improvement, but product recommendation/shopping for pressure switches? – Tyson Mar 14 '19 at 11:19

There are potential safety concerns using a pressurized vessel for use outside of its design parameters. An air pig can easily be purchased with known ratings and pressure relief built in. Couple an air Pig with a pressure regulator and you'll have yourself a portable pressurized vessel that is safe and dialable. This is an example of an air pigenter image description herewww.homedepot.com

A regulator enter image description herehttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjr1pjM-4HhAhUMGWkKHb2FARAYABABGgJpcQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD20JjDAVGqz-qgNA4TwoqW&sig=AOD64_2SRn-l4VT0e71n6VYTSpO7n5oFqQ&ctype=46&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjRpZPM-4HhAhXo1IMKHYNtBjIQzzl6BAgLEAc&adurl=

You won't get much use out of it in between charges due to the volume of the pressure vessel. To get a usable amount of air in the tank you may need to recharge frequently in order to do that you may want to get a portable air pump.

Battery operated air pumpenter image description herehttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi7mov9_IHhAhWXtcAKHd3XCHkYABATGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2amOzOw3QuE2L556cw1ed&sig=AOD64_2n1jgSPZIA_daVlU_5O156gmhCYA&ctype=46&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjp-IP9_IHhAhWO_YMKHVMCBokQzzl6BAgLEAc&adurl=

Milwaukee also makes an digitally set battery operated air pump but I don't know the range. My friend has it. But I don't know if it goes down to 12psi.


It does, here's a link. It's available in m12 or m18

milwaukee m12 pumpenter image description herehttps://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m12-cordless-inflator-review

  • I've never heard the term Air Pig before, but that's perfect. Now I really want one painted like a pig. Also, ugly links can be wrapped using the inline link syntax to make them more palatable. – JPhi1618 Mar 14 '19 at 15:48
  • I do this on my phone but I'm going to try to figure it out. Thanks for the link to the link. Lol – Joe Fala Mar 14 '19 at 16:32

Yes you are looking for a pressure regulator. You can buy at local store or online.

  • Will a pressure regulator turn off the pump or just dump excess pressure? – Solar Mike Mar 14 '19 at 13:29

Use an adjustable pressure switch to turn the pump on / off.

Something like this may be suitable, but there are many others...


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.