I am connecting a water filter to one of my taps. It’s driving me mad. The tap itself has an aerator that is readily unscrewed. The socket on the tap itself is female threaded. Here I am holding the aerator in my fingers and the tap is in the background.

enter image description here

The thread itself is inset a little bit into the tap.

My water filter connector is also female threaded.

enter image description here

So one of them must be converted to a male thread, and the adapter must be small enough not to cause a problem with the narrow space around the female connector that is slightly inset into the tap.

I googled a bit. I found e.g this product decribed as a female to male adapter. But look at it! It goes into the female threaded connector and gives another female one!

What do I need to do the job and get my purifier connected?!

  • 2
    Confused - both items held in your fingers have male threads...
    – Solar Mike
    Mar 10, 2019 at 7:35
  • @innisfree - Also be aware that there are a bunch of different diameters and thread pitches used on faucets at the aerator attachment point.
    – Michael Karas
    Mar 10, 2019 at 9:16
  • The aerator in my fingers in the first picture has a male thread. The purifier in my hand in the second picture has a female thread.
    – innisfree
    Mar 10, 2019 at 9:35
  • The outside of the purifier connector is beveled but look closely it is female threaded
    – innisfree
    Mar 10, 2019 at 9:40
  • 1
    @innisfree - The picture in your question of the purifier that you are holding distinctly shows a male thread sticking out the top. Now unless you already have a male to male adapter already screwed into the purifier your picture is creating nothing but confusion.
    – Michael Karas
    Mar 10, 2019 at 9:42

1 Answer 1


If we can believe what you wrote in your question rather than what you show in your pictures then what you are really looking for is a M to M adapter. Not the F to M adapter that you linked. Here is an example of an M to M adapter.

enter image description here

(Picture Source: https://www.amazon.com/Danco-10524-Chrome-Aerator-Adapter/dp/B00FI6U81C/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=male+to+male+faucet+adapter&qid=1552209508&s=gateway&sr=8-6)

There are multiple sizes used for aerator attachments. Some of the most common include in metric sizes M22x1, M24x1 and M28x1. In USA sizes you will find 3/4"-27, 15/16"-27 and 55/64"-27. The first number being the diameter and the second the thread pitch designation. So take this into account when you select the proper adapter. Some adapters are actually designed to convert between these sizes including the one that you linked in your question.

  • Thanks, that looks good. My confusion was that I would call the item you picture F to M since it converts a F faucet into a M one or vice-versa :)
    – innisfree
    Mar 10, 2019 at 9:37
  • Just curious -- a 15/16" male requires a 15/16" female (and vica versa), while a 55/64" male requires a 55/64" female (and vica versa), is that correct?
    – ManRow
    May 22, 2020 at 1:01
  • No. Not correct. Adapter whether the be M-M, F-F, M-F or M-F could and do often have different diameters / thread pitch on their oposite sides.
    – Michael Karas
    May 22, 2020 at 4:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.