where the red box is where I want to add a new slab of cement. Like shown in the picture, the dimension is 18ft by 5ft-5in. This extension will be connected to the existing porch as well as one side of the house. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to add a patio, but every video seems to provide a different sets of instructions. So far, the general steps are seem to be as follow:
1) Dig out the existing ground by 6 inches deep.
2) Use stakes and 2x4's to make a frame.
3) Fill the area with gravel (some videos use sand and some just fill the area with mixed cement).
4) Since the new slab is right next to the house and an existing porch, I need to put in some joint, so that the new slab will not move in case of flooding.
5) Put in rebar grid
6) Mix cement and pour it in.
7) Use another 2x4 to smooth out the top
So, my first question is, for that big of an area, should I divide it up into smaller sections (may be 3 sections of 6ft by 5ft-5in) and add in each slab individually? Next, I know that my guide is probably incorrect and/or incomplete, so can someone provide me or point me to a better guide?