How do I repair this type of Door Frame? Also, what size screws do you buy for a standard door frame?
Assuming that the problems you're trying to solve are 1) stripped hinge screws, and 2) splintered jamb veneer...
- You can mount the hinges in one of several ways:
- Fill the holes firmly with wood slivers (or toothpicks) and wood glue. Allow to dry, and drill for standard hinge screws (commonly #9 or #10 by 1" flat-head). Use a pilot bit that's slightly smaller than the screw shank (not the thread diameter).
- Purchase repair screws with a larger thread diameter.
- Use longer screws that reach to the framing. 3" gold construction screws often work well and have a similar appearance. Be sure to not drive them so tight that you move the jamb. You might want to pilot with a 1/8" bit to prevent veering or splitting of the stud as you'll be fairly close to the edge with the outermost screws.
- Since your jambs are painted you can use any common wood filler to skim the damage. Use a tool or nail to simulate wood grain with light scratches, them prime and paint.