I have a corrosion problem on my new indirect fired water heater. HTP technical support, the company that makes the heater, wants to know the alloy of the spigots attached to the hot water inlet and outlet pipes. I have appended below a photograph of one of the spigots. Do you know the make/model of this spigot or its alloy?

enter image description here

Note that it is definitely cast because it has a parting line.

  • Can you take a better picture please? More indirect lighting is needed Mar 1, 2019 at 15:05
  • My guess would be nickel coated brass, but again, I would want a better picture. Mar 1, 2019 at 15:15
  • That's a stainless steel tank, right?
    – gnicko
    Mar 1, 2019 at 16:03
  • @GregoryNickoloff Yes Mar 1, 2019 at 16:10
  • There's something "funny" about those other fittings then. Brass and copper should be OK and are recommended in the installation documentation. (htproducts.com/literature/lp-32.pdf) I suspect that the other fittings (from the tank, the "T" and so forth) are not good. I think I'd replace the connections with fittings that you know the composition and quality of.
    – gnicko
    Mar 1, 2019 at 16:21

1 Answer 1


It's called nickel brass, white brass or nickel-plated brass. It's perfectly acceptable. The bigger issue in the picture is the copper fitting attached to the tank, it should be a barstock or brass FIP. A bar stock or brass fitting or dielectric union should be put in between any black iron and copper fittings. The tee looks a little odd. But if it's brass it should be fine.

Not exactly the same I'm sure, but similar. enter image description here


  • You can always revise your deleted answer and reopen it rather than leaving an orphan, FYI. No big deal.
    – isherwood
    Mar 1, 2019 at 15:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.