Can an indoor Transfer Switch be used on the other side of the wall as an outdoor service entrance and main panel?

The concept is: The outdoor service entrance is wired through the wall to the SE rated indoor transfer switch. Then wired through the wall again from the transfer switch to the outdoor main panel. Is this ok or will I need a UL listed panel to keep outside

  • 1
    Why do you want a service entrance transfer switch (whole house transfer) instead of transferring a dedicated standby subpanel? – ThreePhaseEel Mar 1 at 2:52
  • I'm considering my options to see what works with my home before purchasing. my inverter is large enough for the whole house. – RedOculus Mar 1 at 16:58
  • Can you provide more details about your inverter setup? Grid-tie inverters can't provide standalone power (due to anti-islanding), and multimode inverters use an internal transfer means instead of an external ATS – ThreePhaseEel Mar 2 at 0:03

The simple answer is NO.

An indoor xfer switch enclosure is rated for a dry location only. You would need a Raintight enclosure if you were to use it where it is subject to weather conditions.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.