I'm renovating a master bath and the entire wall between the bath and the master is completely removed. The view and light that this provides is very nice so I'm considering putting in glass instead of a solid (non-structural) wall that was there before.

The concern is privacy. It's a master bath so in theory, it's not really a necessity but I think that would be awkward in practice especially with a clear glass shower stall. Pattern glass or frosted/etched glass is another option but the SO and I are in complete disagreement on what would be appropriate.

The one option that would seem to allow us to have our cake and eat it too is using a switchable glass/film. There are various manufacturers but here's an example with some demo videos. There's actually a video on the site where they show putting the film on what appears to be a sliding door and a 'sliding door package' but I can't figure out what is getting power to the door. There's a mention of a 'power transfer cable' but no picture or detailed description.

I think this is pretty straightforward for something that is fixed but we were planning to have a sliding door. These products require a power source and it seems low voltage DC is not an option however the product above actually uses 60-70VAC power as pointed out by JPhi1618. I had assumed these were DC powered.

Is there a proper, legit way to connect wiring for something like this? It turns out all of these products run on AC as described in this thread.

  • 2
    Code doesn't have a lot to say about low-voltage wiring. You'll want to use a ribbon cable or something that's designed for repeated movement, but otherwise it's a matter of aesthetics. – isherwood Feb 26 '19 at 17:51
  • @isherwood Thanks. keywords are very helpful. – JimmyJames Feb 26 '19 at 17:54
  • @isherwood Something like this: igus.com/chainflex/unharnessed-cable? – JimmyJames Feb 26 '19 at 18:10
  • 1
    I'm imagining something like a tape measure that retracts but has a two conductor ribbon rather than a steel tape. I wan't to use this on an exterior window to a bathroom, but at ~$1k for a large window it's still a bit pricy. – JPhi1618 Feb 26 '19 at 18:22
  • 1
    Right, but notice that transformer has an input of 12vdc and an output of 70v. So either you have to get 70v to the door or mount the transformer on the door and get 12v to it. – JPhi1618 Feb 26 '19 at 21:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.