I'm not sure what the name of this nut is, but it has come loose. I have a "basin wrench ratchet head" that goes on my socket set ratchet with a long arm but it can't get purchase because it is too bulky. I have had some success with my thin vise grips but it eventually comes loose again and the nut is starting to get scratched up from it all.

What is the correct tool for this job?

enter image description here


You should be able to get plenty of leverage on it with either a channel-lock pliers or an adjustable (Crescent) wrench. Both give you parallel jaws, which are key to keeping them on the nut.

  • The issue @Steven has is the 'bulk' of the tool. An adjustable wrench might fit, though it is more likely to slip than a fixed wrench, but it is doubtful channel-lock pliers would fit, and the angle of the jaws would make it unusable. – DrMoishe Pippik Feb 22 at 19:16
  • @DrMoishePippik Exactly - I have tried both these tools and I can't get enough of a turn to make progress with these tools. – Steven Feb 23 at 1:55

As you state, a basin wrench is the correct tool. If the ratchet head basin wrench is too large, then a dedicated self-adjusting wrench might fit. For spaces that are tighter yet, a fixed-size basin wrench might fit better.

Since you'll not likely need to use the tool often, you might try an open-end wrench held along the supply lines, if you have one on hand of the correct size. It won't allow much torque before slipping, but it might suffice.

  • I will try to find a different basin wrench. I had not though about an open end wrench. I don't have one that wide, but it is a reasonable solution. I'll see if I can find one. – Steven Feb 23 at 1:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.