I’m renovating my 1984 kitchen and I'm worried about exceeding the maximum load on the circuit. I'd like to add recessed lighting and above/below cabinet lighting as well.
I know that 12 devices are permitted per 15A circuit (light outlets; plug outlets) and that switches and junction boxes are NOT to be counted. With my new setup I think that I will end up with 11 devices total for that 15A circuit.
My modifications are about:
- Adding - Under cabinet lighting using 7 LED Power Strip (linear) lights via one dimmable switch
- Adding – Below cabinet lighting using 5 LED Power Strip (linear) lights via one dimmable switch
- Adding – 4 Recessed LED Slim Lights to Bridges in between my upper cabinets via one dimmable switch
- Replacing – 1 Ceiling Track Lights with 6 Recessed LED Slim Lights via one dimmable switch
- Replacing – 1 Ceiling Track Lights with 3 Recessed LED Slim Lights via one dimmable switch
For the 4 above modifications, I counted that as 4 Devices to be added to my circuit. I already have 7 devices on the circuit, for a total of 11. I`m not sure if this the right way to calculate this and I was concerned that it might not be permitted by the Ontario Electrical Code?
Here are the specs for the devices:
- Under cabinet LED Power Strip: Qty: 7 at 4.3W each (total of 30.1 Watts)
- using a 36W LED driver for a 120V to 12V – DC conversion
- Above cabinet LED Power Strip: Qty: 5 at 3.1W each (total of 15.5 Watts)
- using a 24W LED driver for a 120V to 12V - DC conversion
- 4 Recessed LED Light (9 Watts each - 120V) – a total of 36 Watts
- 6 Recessed LED Light (9 Watts each - 120V) – a total of 54 Watts
- 3 Recessed LED Light (9 Watts each - 120V) – a total of 27 Watts
Please note that every item above has its own dimmable Switch.
The rest of the circuit is used as below:
- 1 light outlet in Dining Room (hanging type) via a dimmable switch
- 1 outdoor light via an indoor dimmable switch
- 2 plug outlets in dining room
- 2 plug outlets in a room above the kitchen; one outlet used for computer/printer, about 14 hours a day
I do understand the circuit loading rule of 80%, i.e. 120V x 15A = 1800W x 80% = 1440W but I was concerned is if there were specific rules in the Ontario Electrical Code, i.e. specific calculations for LED Recessed and LED power strip lighting restricting me in making these additions.
Also, I recall reading something about the known load (i.e. lights) and the unknown load (i.e. plug outlets), not too sure if applicable here (??)
Also, read about a 1.1 factor, i.e. multiplying the wattage by 1.1 for drivers. I’m not sure I understood that one and if applicable to my case (??).
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!