I have a 40amps range breaker. I want to upgrade it to 50amps. I know that the wires need to support 50amps if I want to upgrade it to 50amps. However, I am not able to figure out whether the wires support 50amps. How would I find out whether the wires support 50amps? Here is enter image description herethe image of 40amps circuit breaker that I want to upgrade.

  • Do these wires go off into a cable, or a conduit? – ThreePhaseEel Feb 18 '19 at 23:32
  • Can you get a picture of any markings on the wires or the cable sheath the wires are coming out of? – Harper - Reinstate Monica Feb 19 '19 at 5:12

You need a number 6 wire. The picture looks like 8. It's written on the wire. Following AWG _

  • Wow your screen must be awesome I can't even see any writing+ – Ed Beal Feb 18 '19 at 22:44
  • Lol, just compare it to the 14 next to it. – Joe Fala Feb 18 '19 at 23:08
  • Just wanted to know what the rating of the cook top is. Most cook tops are 40 amp max anyway. The max rating isn't a suggestion it's a requirement. It's to protect the unit in case of fault. – Joe Fala Feb 19 '19 at 1:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.