I just installed a lock in my door and when attempting to install the latch I found that the wood was splintering and not stable, so I cut it out. My problem is similar to this one. What can be installed in the gap to make the latch have something strong to screw into? Best type of wood to use? Other ideas besides wood? Replacing the entire door frame is not an option at this point. Reference image:

enter image description here


I suggest replacing that jamb board. Measure the board and purchase a new board to replace it. Cut it completely out, top to bottom and install the new board. Cut your lockset holes and paint to match.

  • You suggest replacing the board from bottom to top on the one side with the cut-out? Or the entire jamb all the way around the door?Should I purchase something like this? homedepot.com/p/… – whitewings Feb 16 '19 at 18:06
  • 1
    search " door jamb Dutchman " and you will get all the info you need. duckduckgo.com – Alaska Man Feb 16 '19 at 19:55
  • Just the broken side, – Jeff Cates Feb 17 '19 at 7:18
  • @JeffCates What about the hollowed-out section between the trim and the stud? Should I cut some pine wood to fit that section and glue it in with wood glue? – whitewings Feb 18 '19 at 21:37
  • 1
    That or replace the trim. I would replace any wood completely, glue/nail/screw will leave a weak spot especially where a lock is involved. – Jeff Cates Feb 19 '19 at 23:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.