The attempted shower seat
I recently tried to install a shower seat in my shower. It came with an aluminum wall bracket, and is anchored with 5 approximately 3'' screws inserted into typical plastic wall anchors. I had my doubts this would hold, so to minimize overall damage, I managed to limit drilling to only one tile.
Attaching the seat, it held well, but after further testing, the tile cracked in the middle, horizontally. Oddly, the adjacent tiles, left and right also have a hairline crack aligned with the middle crack. I did not expect this type of failure.
- What caused this? Did the backing (whatever it is) break and transfer to attached tiles?
- How do I proceed?
- Any guidance for attaching things to unknown walls?
- this is a rental, so some techniques may be limited.
the mortar at bottom of tiles is loose, I might be able to remove to spy on backing materialonly tub edge visible
- while hammering in plastic anchors, the wall reverberated quite a bit, and seemed very hollow.
- this wall is oddly thick and I'm unsure what is behind it.