My wife and I have been alternating some home refurb tasks. Our normal workflow when painting:
- Sand the surface.
- Wash with TSP (trisodium phosphate).
- Rinse the TSP and allow to dry.
- Prime and allow to dry (latex primer).
- Paint (latex).
Yesterday there was a mixup.
- She sanded the surface;
- She applied TSP, which dried;
- Days later, I painted right over the unrinsed TSP.
The surface in question is tongue & groove wooden boards on the ceiling of an old farmhouse. We are using latex ceiling paint.
This is obviously suboptimal. What are some ways of recovering from this? The paint is dry by now. And if we can't recover, what is going to happen to this painted surface and when?