I have a mobile home that is wired for a 90 amp furnace. but didn't have the furnace.. so I purchased one which is 60 amps. could I take the wires for the 90 amp furnace run it from the 90 amp breaker into the main lug in a subpanel and use a 60 amp breaker for this other furnace?

  • Why not just change the breaker to a 60 amp? – Ed Beal Feb 10 at 18:16

You can simply continue to use the 90 amp wires. You change the breaker to 60A, they're about $10, but hold on to the old 90A breaker because those critters are expensive.

This depends on the rule that you are always allowed to use larger wires than required.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.