What is it called when you increase concrete floor by ramping it up, to avoid using a transition strip?

closed as unclear what you're asking by isherwood, Machavity, Daniel Griscom, Tyson, mmathis Feb 8 at 13:02

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • There's no specific term for it, and the pros and cons depend completely on what flooring situation we're talking about. Please revise to ask something more specific. – isherwood Feb 4 at 13:58
  • 1
    You can't "feather edge" ( taper it to zero) concrete ; the thin edge will spall. – blacksmith37 Feb 4 at 17:11

Sometimes sloping the concrete is necessary to drain water or create a ramp. The concrete is usually mixed with fiber to prevent cracking and to keep from using wire or rebar. You don't want to just add a small patch near a doorway to create a transition point, as it will probably crack.

enter image description here

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.