This is a drill bit I got in a kit that included brad point bits, masonry bits and regular drill bits, all without instructions or labels.

At first, I thought the ridges were meant to make screw threads like a tap bit, but the ridges don't extend beyond the approx 1/4" diameter of the screw.

enter image description here

What kind of drill bit is this? What's it for?


That's sometimes called a "drill-saw" bit used for drilling a hole and then enlarging the hole into a slot (or other shape) by applying sideways pressure.

I have a couple of cheap ones and didn't find them very effective in softwood. To make a long slot (1ft or 300mm) I had to drill lots of adjacent holes conventionally and then used this type of bit to join the holes. If I had to do it again, I'd consider buying a cheap router for the job. A hand jab-saw/pad-saw/keyhole-saw might be quicker and might be a similar amount of effort.

| improve this answer | |
  • Also known as a "saw bit". – isherwood Feb 5 '19 at 15:12

The last picture here shows it. I have never personally used one though.

| improve this answer | |
  • Link-only answers aren't considered valuable on SE because they go extinct and leave nothing of value in the answer. At least mention the "saw bit" part here. – isherwood Feb 5 '19 at 15:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.