I have a 200 amp service in my house from the pole that is live. My polebarn is about 150 ft. Away from the pole and is not live. I have another 200 amp service for my polebarn, and I have the extra slots under my meter to hook another service up there. I know I'll need at least 150ft of 1/0 aluminum direct burial as well. Or should I scrap the other 200 amp box (buddy gave it to me) get a 100 amp box, and run it as a sub service from the house?

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. When you say "I have another 200 amp service for my polebarn", you mean you have a 200-amp-capable breaker box that you're thinking of installing? – Daniel Griscom Feb 2 at 13:40
  • Can you post photos of the breaker box at the pole please? – ThreePhaseEel Feb 2 at 14:01
  • Don't rush off and buy wire yet. However you arrived at 1/0 for your wire size is quite wrong. – Harper Feb 2 at 16:47
  • Daniel griscom: that is exactly what I mean. Threephaseeel: I can tomorrow. Harper: I won't be buying the cable for at least 2 weeks. – Snaken-Bacon Feb 3 at 3:32

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.