- 9 year old Whirlpool refrigerator has been operating quietly for 9 years. Refrigerator has two doors and is top-freezer/bottom-refrigerator configuration.
- About 3 months ago, it would intermittently - like a few times a day - start making a loud click. That was new.
- Then about 2 months ago, the compressor, a Panasonic DG51C69RAU6, started vibrating violently for about 15 seconds at a time, intermittently (a few times a day). It's very loud, like someone striking a cymbal.
- This violent banging lasts for 15 seconds, and almost always ends with that new loud click, and the compressor falls silent. I'd say maybe 20 percent of the time, the banging episode ends on its own, without a click. But then a click typically sounds 30-90 seconds after the episode.
- The click also happens when the fridge is quiet (as I noted in the 2nd bullet), but it almost always happens when the compressor starts banging violently, and ends that episode.
- I have freezer and refrigerator thermometers which show the temperatures are in the correct range.
Any ideas what would cause this?