So this is the tap I have and I’d like to attach an accessory to it. I believe it is threaded and I should be able to unscrew the existing head to be able to use the threads, but I don’t know how to remove it. The plier (correct word?) tool that I have has sharp teeth and it’s scratching and damaging the tap. I’ve tried several grippy, nonslip layers between them to avoid damage but it’s still slipping or scratching the tap. Any suggestions? faucet the tool and the cloth

  • Most of those that I have seen can be turned by hand. Make sure you are turning the correct direction - it may be reverse-threaded.
    – Moshe Katz
    Jan 16, 2019 at 23:27
  • Solder joints are also common in fabricated fixtures. Feb 16, 2019 at 2:12
  • I love it when an answer is provided on how to do something and credit is not given.
    – Ed Beal
    Mar 2, 2019 at 18:18
  • By "tap" do you mean the aerator/ diffuser on the outlet ? Mar 3, 2019 at 1:09

4 Answers 4


I will use a piece of leather if I don't want to damage the finish. Think old leather belt if you don't have any scraps of leather.


The curving spigot probably is a press fit and would not unscrew from the valve body. Afik all valve bodies of this type are removed from below. You or an assistant holds the valve body (the part you can see above the lavatory) with a hand and you use a "basin wrench" to remove a nut from below.

  • Uh, so no way without the basin wrench? :(
    – Neeku
    Jan 17, 2019 at 18:03
  • If you have room, you can loosen the nut with the angled slip-joint pliers (often called "channel locks") that you have Jan 17, 2019 at 18:47
  • It was in fact screwable.
    – Neeku
    Feb 16, 2019 at 9:44
  • What was "screwable", the spigot on top or the nut below? Feb 16, 2019 at 13:14
  • I’ll post the details now.
    – Neeku
    Mar 2, 2019 at 11:15

Sometimes the threads are internal, as in female. Have a look at the water screen(also called an aerator) and see if you can unscrew it.


The thread was a two-sided male screwing to both sides (female), the tap and the nozzle thing. All I needed was a larger tool and some more strength.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.