I am trying to find out what part of the Canadian electrical code requires that the 48AMP kiln, on a 60AMP breaker requires that it must be direct wired, instead of using the NEMA 6-50 receptacle permitted in USA. I would like my kiln to be mobile, and wonder if there is a work around of some kind.

  • I'm not sure that is permitted in USA. – Harper Jan 15 at 18:42
  • 1
    48 Amp continuous upsize +25% to 60 Amp rated breaker/wire/receptacle/etc. So a 6-50 wouldn't work anywhere. There are (in a quick search) NEMA 14-60, but not as far as I can tell any 6-60. But whether 14-60 (i.e., also neutral) would (a) work for you or (b) be allowed by code - I have no idea. – manassehkatz Jan 15 at 18:46
  • @Harper - the manufacturer's website shows the kiln being delivered with a 6-50, recommended breaker 60AMP but has indicated in Canada code does not allow it. – Steven Jan 16 at 16:02
  • They do sell a NEMA 14-60 receptacle, FWIW... – Harper Jan 16 at 18:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.