We have a leaking bathtub faucet and need to replace the cartridge but we cant’t figure out how to remove the casing (estachian?) around it. I don’t know the brand or model number. Everything is stuck from the hard water. We’ve already replaced the faucet but that didn’t fix it. Any help is much appreciated!! enter image description hereenter image description here

  • @jsotola we tried to clean it up, but everything is “cemented” on there. This is why I’m asking for help to get the casing off. – Laura Goldberg Jan 16 '19 at 0:43

The stem is held in place by a u-shaped piece of metal. If you scrape through enough crud, you'll find the bottom of it on the outside of the metal cylinder. Pull it out with a pair of pliers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkZad_sHQkQ about 0:50 in is what I'm talking about.

  • Thank you. We got it out with a lot of force—now looking at a $975 estimate to replace the shower valve. Plumber said he probably wouldn’t have been able to get it out and we would have the same repair amount. – Laura Goldberg Jan 17 '19 at 21:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.