Curious if I can convert a single turn switch on a lamp to a 3 way switch? Thank you

  • Is the switch part of the socket, or part of the lamp? – ThreePhaseEel Jan 14 '19 at 1:34
  • you can replace the switch easily ,,,,,, but if you want to actually have a 3-way light selection, then you will also have to replace the lamp socket and the light bulb – jsotola Jan 16 '19 at 1:04

If you look inside the lamp-socket for a three-way lamp, you'll see three contacts, rather than two. Replace the existing two-contact light socket with a three-way socket and switch.

However, there are few three-way "bulbs" available, and very few energy-efficient LED or CFL three-way bulbs (which are a bit pricey), you'd be better off using a small dimmer switch in the base of the lamp, or using a remote controlled LED bulb.

All links are for reference-purposes only.

| improve this answer | |
  • I disagree - e.g., Home Depot currently has some 3-way LED (40/60/100 W "equivalent") at ~ 2 for $8 homedepot.com/p/… A dimmer gives more control, but that is either a separate box or you have to figure out how to fit it into the lamp. – manassehkatz-Moving 2 Codidact Jan 14 '19 at 4:40
  • 1
    GE also makes a wonderful 50/150/100 bulb (you read right, the highest power is the middle position, so if you put it in a 1-way socket you get the bulb's best). Nice and bright. It's not cheap, but you won't replace it in a decade or more... – Harper - Reinstate Monica Jan 14 '19 at 5:59

Yes you can if the light you are placing this in has a common setup, take photos of it to your local lighting store or just take the lamp, they most likely have a 1:1 replacement. But, if the lamp is unique, you might need to do something a little more creative. (e..g, a dimmer as noted in the other answer).

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.