I got one of these Wen #3403 Dust Collectors as a Christmas gift and I'm wondering if hooking it up is a matter of installing a new breaker and running a 10/2 line to the garage. I have air conditioners and pool equipment, etc. already hooked up, but no other appliances except smaller 15 and 20A things.

It says in one place that it needs 110V an 25A breaker, and in another that it needs a 30A breaker. It seems to run at 12-16A, but I imagine needs some extra for starting up.

I've read that code requires it to be hard-wired with a switch. Is that true? What's the harm in using the plug for occasional use, etc. Also, since it's a garage, do I need a GFCI outlet?

  • The manual clearly states higher than 25A. That rounds to a 30. It mentions 25 elsewhere only as a warning to installers when working with high-current device wiring.
    – isherwood
    Jan 10, 2019 at 22:05
  • 25A (in the US at least) is an automatic "not your regular circuit" indicator. The ordinary 110V circuits are all 15A and 20A. Once you get past that, it generally means a bigger breaker and thicker wire and the right kind of receptacle. Jan 10, 2019 at 22:17

1 Answer 1


The first page of the manual indicates a CSA listing, which due to treaty bears the same weight as UL. So you have to follow the instructions. The listing is contingent on doing what the instructions say.

So yes, a 10/2 cable with 30A (greater than 25) breaker to a solitary single NEMA 5-20 socket, labeled for this one appliance, is what's called for. This is a special socket that should not be used for any other appliance, unless that other appliance also specifies a "greater than 25A" breaker.

If you want to also support other circuits, then throw in a 10/3 and install a subpanel. Bonus points if it's a GFCI hot tub panel, because that will answer the GFCI requirements on any garage circuit. Preferably a GE type that supports their weird 1/2" breakers because then you can use "double stuff" breakers for density and still customize the breaker size for each load.

By the way, you can't ordinarily bump breaker sizes in response to nuisance tripping. You can do it here, because of a special motor rule, and because the instructions said so because of the special motor rule.

  • I don't think that I'd need to use other circuits on there, but is it OK to add additional NEMA 5-20R 20-amp outlets... so that I could move the equipment to different sides of the garage, etc?
    – gnicko
    Jan 10, 2019 at 23:58
  • Yes, for that purpose. Jan 11, 2019 at 0:00
  • I seem to only be able to find 5-20R 20A outlets.... don't they make 30A ones?
    – gnicko
    Jan 16, 2019 at 23:43
  • 5-30R's should be a thing. If not you can use TT30. Jan 17, 2019 at 0:13
  • Those don't seem to physically match the plug on the end of the cord. Unit instructions call for 5-20R.... "The tool has a built-in 25A overload protector to protect the motor. To prevent tripping your electrical circuit, the fuse rating of your circuit must be HIGHER than 25A. The power plug should be plugged into a matching NEMA 5-20R outlet as shown in Fig. A, with a fuse rating higher than 25A. Only one machine should be connected to a dedicated circuit. Always check local code for wiring outlets that are 25 amps and above."
    – gnicko
    Jan 17, 2019 at 2:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.