In my kitchen I have a dumb waiter; the door is 1" thick solid wood wrapped in 1/16" sheet metal. I removed the old door knob (that's the hole in the photo) to make room for a flush pull. I need to cut the sheet metal in the shape of the pull to make it fit, but I'm not sure how to do this. I can't use clippers and I don't own a router; I have a Dremel and power drill only. I could drill holes along the cut out line using the power drill, but there's gotta be a better way.

enter image description here

  • I would take it to a fabrication shop that has a plasma cutter.
    – Alaska Man
    Jan 6, 2019 at 18:02
  • Is there an alternative option? emphasis "diy"
    – raffian
    Jan 6, 2019 at 19:15

2 Answers 2


I think the Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel will be about as good as it gets for this application.

Scoring the line (not too deeply) with a cold chisel should help make a channel for the wheel to follow.

I'd tape up the rest of the surface before you start, so you don't have sparks and dirt marring the finish.

  • 2
    A dremel with a cut off tool will work great it may take quite a few disks , and be sure to wear safety glasses but of the tools you have it can do the job.+
    – Ed Beal
    Jan 7, 2019 at 13:19
  • 1
    Yep, that's how I'm doing it; I'll post an update next week!
    – raffian
    Jan 7, 2019 at 18:45

Best for you to draw a inside and outside max liwas of the part it looks like u have a have play room about half to three quarter of inch I material fabercater years ago Gininder and meatal file don't think that a dremel will do it but maybe u would have to drill a bunch of little holes inside lines first then jig saw meatal blade then grind with dremel I have a dremel roto zip it would do it all itself I recommend every on should have one be careful it's a monster

  • I'm trying the Dremel route first
    – raffian
    Jan 7, 2019 at 2:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.