Can anyone advise what (if any) sized conduit one has to use per code to have a 50A copper cable run from inside through an outside, concrete, wall? I live in Maryland, USA, if that is helpful.

Would be extra helpful if a link to an online copy of section of the electrical code that stipulated the requirements in the above regard could be provided in an answer.

  • There are no stable online copies of the Electrical Code, the only ones are behind a paywall (or to be more precise, a signupwall). Commented Dec 27, 2018 at 23:22
  • Is the conduit run all the way from the service panel to the receptacle? Is it metal conduit? Will you ever put any other wire or cable in the conduit? Commented Dec 28, 2018 at 16:37
  • @Harper - Wasn't intending to have conduit on the inside run, just read that it is required through the concrete wall + any outside section of cable that is not behind at socket/junction/etc. Wasn't sure if metal, plastic, or something else was required in the way of conduit, which was part of the question. Lastly, no, don't intend to feed anything else through the conduit, especially as it is my understanding there is a safety reason for having conduit, and of a certain % above the cable size, in the first place.
    – user66001
    Commented Dec 28, 2018 at 16:48
  • Ok, so that's "conduit as a local physical-damage shield for the NM or UF wiring method", not "conduit as a wiring method". Changes the numbers. Commented Dec 28, 2018 at 16:58
  • @Harper - Sorry, yes, physical damage is what I was thinking about when writing the question. Hoping you can provide an answer to the question now, but happy to clarify any further questions me not being familiar with the NEC, don't know are important.
    – user66001
    Commented Dec 28, 2018 at 17:03


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.