There's a hole in return duct going under my house; why?

enter image description here

  • 2
    Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. I've fixed the image and tweaked your text, but we'll still need more info. Does air rush into the hole when the furnace is running? Is there an air supply duct in that space? – Daniel Griscom Dec 25 '18 at 13:44
  • 2
    This may have been left for make up air, normally these have a screen over them and are not larger than 2-4", I usually see a damper or adjustable plate over the hole to fine tune the system. – Ed Beal Dec 25 '18 at 14:55
  • Air does come in , I don't think there is a air supply duct around but I'm not 100%, I just bought the house and being a single parent I haven't had the time to get under there – Kevin Dec 25 '18 at 16:19
  • So I shouldn't cover that hole and just use some sort of screen – Kevin Dec 25 '18 at 17:01
  • It looks like shoddy workmanship to me. I would seal it, or at the very least, screen it. – Matthew Dec 25 '18 at 17:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.