An old kitchen table has kind of spanning metal clips connecting parts; some of them are rusty and do not span well anymore.

Note: you might think that because of the rust the clips can't be closed anymore, but in fact they have somehow become weak, i.e. normally you would close and open them with applying slight force, but now the clips can just open up by themselves because of the gravity.

What is the proper name of this metal parts so that I could order and replace them?

enter image description here enter image description here

  • The damage is superficial, you could unscrew them, drop them in a rust- removal solution, spray paint them, lubricate and replace them. Dec 25, 2018 at 11:08
  • thank you! still is there a proper term for such parts? also, I think I need to add this, the closure has become weak, not blocked by rust.
    – J. Doe
    Dec 25, 2018 at 11:22
  • 1
    If they are loose now it seems like there are two ways to fix it. First would be to slightly re-form the metal loop so it is tighter. It probably became stretched over time. The second way would be to re-position them to be farther apart from their mate. You'd need to move them so the old screw holes aren't in the way. Dec 25, 2018 at 16:34

1 Answer 1


I think they are called latch clamps:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.