I know, I know I shouldn't do it, but I just built a cord to backfeed my house with my generator (120v 20A, 3550w).
One side plug is a 3 pin lock plug that goes into the generator and the other side is a plug that goes into my garage heater outlet (240v, 30A). The cord is a 12/3 gauge with 3 wires that O plug as per notice.
So I decided to try it today, disconnecting the main circuit breaker and all sub system circuit breakers. I started the generator and plugged it in. I then turned on the garage heater circuit breaker and the fridge and lights circuit breakers.
Didn't work... Any ideas why?
By the way, the garage heater circuit goes straight to the main panel through a thermostat (which was turned on to max).