I am going to wire my shop and want ot run #2 copper to a 100amp breaker panel. I really do not have the space in the 200 amp panel in the house, my question - is there a way to pull this wire off the service entrance straight to the shop, and does that require another meter base or what?

  • 5
    If you want to get additional service for your shop, you'll have to contact your electric supplier.
    – Tester101
    Commented Jul 2, 2012 at 12:04
  • If you contact your utility, they may be able to install a double lug meter socket. This would allow you to feed both your house, and shop with a single meter. This work can only be completed by a licensed electrician.
    – Tester101
    Commented Jul 2, 2012 at 16:18

1 Answer 1


reasons going to the service entrance will be difficult:

  • you'll have to open the meter box, and most meter boxes are tamper sealed by the electric company so you will have to involve them.
  • the meter box lugs are probably not sized for multiple connections.
  • this creates a potentially dangerous wiring setup. someone may assume that the main panel in the house covers the entire house.

i would go with connecting a subpanel to your main panel. i assume that the existing circuits in the shop go to the main panel? take them out and use the space you just freed up to wire in your subpanel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.