A mortise lock has one or two "tongues" that enter into the frame of the door to keep the door closed, one that is pushed by a spring and moved using the handle, and the other is moved by the key. Like for example the mortise lock in this image, featuring two "tongues":


enter image description here

I didn't know what other word to use, so I was using "tongue", but I notice that's not a complete alien word for such products, some vendors include the word "tongue", for example this one: Double Tongue Shift Door Lock Furniture Cabinet Door Drawer Lock

  • 1
    "latch" and "bolt" are terms I have heard, – Jimmy Fix-it Dec 17 '18 at 0:52
  • 1
    I have also heard the term “throw” or “latch throw” – Alaska Man Dec 17 '18 at 3:07
  • Thanks. It looks like the one moved by the door handle is named "Spring Latch". – Fructibus Dec 17 '18 at 8:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.