I need to buy a door lock that uses handles and that requires a pocket—the mortise—to be cut into the door.

Something like this one or like this one.

But one that uses no key nor any other locking mechanism. So I need something basic, for the door at my room - there is no need to lock it.

I need to search for this on the internet so I need to be able to search specifically for this kind of product, is there a particular name for this? It would improve my search results a lot. At this moment, all my searches return a gazillion of products that I don't need

Maybe it's "Door Lever"? Or "Door Leverset"? Searching for the last one seems to have better results, yet too many of them use a key.

  • 1
    Your links show cylinder locks not mortise locks. They make passage latchsets for mortise locks too.
    – Lee Sam
    Dec 16, 2018 at 21:44
  • @LeeSam: Thanks, but searching on Amazon for "cylinder lock" returns a lot of cylinders with key and without the handles, like this one. But searching for "cylinder passage" returns much better results, maybe this is closer to the right name for this kind of product?
    – Fructibus
    Dec 16, 2018 at 23:06

1 Answer 1


The word you want is "passage" - passage sets are made for hallways and closets without locks. So if you search for "passage latchset" or "passage mortise latchset" you should find what you need.

  • 2
    It’s called “Latchset” not “Lockset”, but yes, +1 for identifying the function as passage.
    – Lee Sam
    Dec 16, 2018 at 21:40
  • 1
    I would add "passage door handle set" or even "passage door lever" for the more modern style with the lever instead of a knob.
    – Michael Karas
    Dec 16, 2018 at 21:42
  • Thanks, is there any way to narrow down the results only to those not using keys nor other locking mechanisms? Is there a naming distinction between Passage Latchsets that use keys and those not using keys?
    – Fructibus
    Dec 16, 2018 at 23:12
  • 1
    Passage means no locks / keys Dec 16, 2018 at 23:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.