Our fireplace turns on fine, runs for a while and then all of a sudden goes out, then sometimes comes back on. We usually turn it off when it happens. We have had a fireplace company out they replaced the thermocouple and it still continues. We have also had the fireplace cleaned, venting was resealed and it still continues. Our local fireplace company is stumped and we are too! We really enjoy using this and now I have turned it off as we don't know what's going on and don't feel safe using it till we know and fix it.

  • Who makes it and what model is it? A picture of the innards (the gas value) may help as well. – Gary Bak Dec 15 '18 at 22:48
  • Also, there are only so many parts to these things, the fireplace company is either trying to sell you a new one or is incompetent. A good plumber should be able to fix it too. – Gary Bak Dec 15 '18 at 22:52
  • Welcome to Stack Exchange! You will need to give us more to go on. How is it that it goes out and comes back on? Give this some thought&conjecture. Does it have a pilot light? Is it electric ignition? What about the controls? If it is pilot light driven, it isnt going to turn itself back on if there is a gas issue since you'd expect the pilot to go out. If it is an electrical safety shutoff, this can be tested with a meter. How do you "turn it off"? Gas shutoff valve? It's possible you just have near-dead batteries in your electronic control receiver. Have you tried fresh batteries? – noybman Dec 15 '18 at 23:36

You may have a condition where the control wiring for the fireplace is run through the same drilled holes in the floor joist, etc. as the standard house wiring are run through. When a light is turned on or off or the microwave is started, this current drawn so close to the control wires can induce enough voltage in these wires to disrupt and or start the fireplace independent of thermostat control. Fully separate all control wiring from other wiring by at least 2-feet (perpendicular runs are OK). I have seen this fix this problem.

| improve this answer | |
  • definitely possible, but I'd still lean towards dead batteries as I've seen that more than once. – noybman Dec 16 '18 at 3:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.