I have a non-standard bathtub drain flange that I'd like to replace (and also clean up the rust) that has a pair of interior nubs. The drain is 1.75 inches in diameter, and the nubs sit about 0.5 inches down from the top of the flange.

Drain flange

I saw two previous questions (one and two) that describe removing a flange with no crossbars/spokes, but can I take advantage of these nubs and use common tools to remove the flange? I'm concerned that the nubs will even disallow the use of an expanding plug.

EDIT: Also, it would be very difficult to remove the drain with channel locks due to how it's seated in the tub.

  • I would just grab a piece of steel flat bar and use it like a big screwdriver, but I have tons of scrap metal to use. There is a universal tool that most plumbing or big box stores have it will lock onto cross bars or nubs in this case. – Ed Beal Dec 15 '18 at 21:11
  • Universal tool: amazon.com/Superior-Tool-Wrench-Dumbell-Ratchet/dp/B000AO193S (absolutely not an endorsement of that particular one or amazon) – Aloysius Defenestrate Dec 15 '18 at 22:40
  • @EdBeal Good idea -- I just don't have the appropriate scrap metal lying around; most everything I have is sheet metal scraps. – calcium3000 Dec 16 '18 at 23:43
  • @AloysiusDefenestrate I actually bought one of those to put in the new drain, which has crossbars. When I tried it on the nubs it barely caught, and I fear that the tool and/or nubs will be damaged if I put any torque into it. – calcium3000 Dec 16 '18 at 23:45
  • @calcium3000 there's every chance the nubs will break off, then you'll be back to some of the other methods. (The tool itself is very unlikely to break.) I'd say 'go for it'. – Aloysius Defenestrate Dec 17 '18 at 14:39

You CAN use Channellock type pliers, just not the way in the linked picture/answer shows. You use the handles of the pliers, adjusted to the width of the throat of the tub drain, as spanners. Insert the handles into the drain so they are against the nubs, then turn those pliers by putting a pipe wrench, large adjustable wrench, or another set of pliers on the jaws of those pliers (which are pointing up) and turn counter-clockwise.

I have removed numerous tub drains using this method.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.