I’m debating between painting the outside of my fireplace vs tiling it but I’m not sure what this material is so I’m hoping you all can help me.

At first glance I thought it was tile but when I looked closer I can see that these “tiles” wrap around to the inside. I don’t think there’s any way to tile around an edge like that so now I’m thinking it’s stone or something else.

What do you guys think it is? If stone should I just proceed with using masonry paint or should I just tile over this? I’ve tiled floors before and I’m not too shabby but this is my first time tackling a vertical surface.

Thanks in advance for all your help. enter image description hereenter image description here

  • i think it's brick. veneer bricks, but bricks nonetheless. – dandavis Dec 12 '18 at 17:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.