We got our interior walls and ceilings plastered. Before painting the walls, we've been advised to use a primer / base coat ("voorstrijk" in Dutch) to seal the walls and reduce the absorption of paint into the fresh gypsum.

There seem to be two varieties of voorstrijk: one that can be applied with rollers (more expensive), and one that can be applied with a brush (cheaper). I think using a roller is easier, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference.

What's the difference between these varieties? What makes the 'normal' variety unsuitable for application with a roller? Or conversely, can I just use the 'normal' variety with a roller?

  • Don't know about the differences you're asking about, so this is just a comment: If you put value on your time, the rollable may end up being cheaper than the brushable because it takes less time to apply. It may also give you a better looking (smoother) finish to apply your top coat over.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Dec 11, 2018 at 13:11
  • @FreeMan I'm certainly leaning towards using a roller, but I am wondering why a product would be incompatible with rollers at all - perhaps the real question I want to ask is 'Can I just apply the normal variety with a roller'?
    – Sanchises
    Commented Dec 11, 2018 at 13:19
  • that sounds like a better question, but it's more general as written.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Dec 11, 2018 at 13:54

1 Answer 1


I'm not familiar with a "roller" vs "brush" primer. The only thing I can assume here is that is that they're describing "new drywall" (example) vs normal primer (example), where the former is thinner and cheaper.

New drywall is porous and tends to absorb more paint as a result. New drywall primer is a thinner primer designed to fill those gaps and nothing else (i.e. it won't block stains, etc). I've used it with rollers and never had a problem.

  • I was actually thrown off by two products sold at the local DIY stores here: rollable and normal. Both don't block stains (they are, in fact, transparent), so I'm guessing that they made a slightly more viscous version for easier rolling (less dripping) and better marketing purposes. But if you say that thinner primer can be applied just as well with a roller, I'm happy to take that as an answer!
    – Sanchises
    Commented Dec 11, 2018 at 14:13
  • Washed both through Google translate and it's still not any clearer what the difference is. The roller one mentions "adhesion", so I assume it's thicker or stickier so the roller "rolls" along, as opposed to just smearing the wall. But this is primer so it doesn't really matter. Use a new roller and I can't see how it wouldn't roll.
    – Machavity
    Commented Dec 11, 2018 at 14:29
  • Thanks anyway. The simple fact that this concept does not seem to exist in other regions indicate that there's no real need for it, especially given the price difference. I guess I'll buy a bucket of each and see for myself.
    – Sanchises
    Commented Dec 11, 2018 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.