Recently, I purchased a new small appliance and when I plugged it in, it did not work. After using an extension cord, I used another outlet and figured out that the original outlet was at fault. As I removed the outlet plate before going to switch the breaker off, the outlet suddenly sparked.
After the spark, I noticed that the GFCI outlet in my kitchen was not resetting and thus not working. I then noticed that a few outlets around the house, along with a couple of light switches stopped working. I checked all breakers both main and the sub, and none had tripped, but reset them anyway.
As I thought the issue may be the faulty GFCI in the kitchen, I was about to replace it and when I checked to see if there's activity, the meter showed nothing. This may sound like a ridiculous question, but could a GFCI that is not hot when connected work properly after it is connected? If this isn't the issue, could it possibly be a circuit gone bad or a fuse (even though none had tripped and all were reset)? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!