Any ideas how I could fill a hole around a radiator pipe - picture attached

Should I use an expanding foam product or some sort of patch?

Thanks, J enter image description here

  • what's that wall surface made of?
    – Jasen
    Commented Nov 30, 2018 at 2:54

2 Answers 2


That's a large hole I would probably purchase a split flange cover (eschutcheon) enter image description here

that goes around the pipe but unless you can find a large one a patch job will be in order first. The split flanges you want will be metal as the heat may cause problems for a plastic one. On the few hot water /steam systems I have worked on they usually have a small gap and fill the gap with insulation then a cover if you seal it tight you would be amazed how much noise it can make.


Patch the hole first as much as you can with pieces of drywall and then you can consider the split flange cover Ed Beal talked about. Personally, I would drywall it, then spray foam for air sealing if outer wall and then the flange.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.