Found this in a box of tools and I have no idea what is called and its purpose, would someone let me know please.

There is a mark on it - T12399

enter image description here

  • Looks like a press or adjuster of some sort. It may have been part of a larger machine and wouldn't have a common name.
    – isherwood
    Commented Nov 19, 2018 at 22:04
  • well, i can't figure if have been a part of something bigger as there is no any screw holes or anything on it to be fixed, it looks like a part designed that way
    – Tony0001
    Commented Nov 19, 2018 at 23:57
  • It does look like a tool used to press one part into another, such as a bearing race into its collar/cylinder, though I'm sure it has many other uses.
    – BillDOe
    Commented Nov 20, 2018 at 0:04
  • Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. It looks like you've created a second account. Please Google "merge Stack Exchange accounts" and ask a moderator to merge yours, and then use one going forwards. Thanks. Commented Nov 20, 2018 at 3:24
  • @DanielGriscom Moderators can't merge user accounts. If you see people with duplicate accounts, please direct them to the "contact" link at the bottom of the page to open a support ticket with SE; one of the options in the first entry field is "I need to merge user profiles".
    – Niall C.
    Commented Nov 20, 2018 at 4:06

2 Answers 2


That is a fixture for repetitively cutting lengths of pipe or rod. The fixture is clamped to a workbench and the pipe is laid into the groove. The V-screw is then tightened to hold the rod. The end is then sawed off. The V-screw is loosened, the pipe/rod is advanced, then the process is repeated.


It looks like it's made to hold a rod or pipe. Maybe for drilling or cutting. Maybe it attaches to a drill press or saw.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.