enter image description here

The picture attached is a cement vent pipe I found on the roof for water heater venting. Looks like the cap has been broken off, but I have no idea what was the original looks like. The diameter of the cement pipe is 4.75". The closest Lowes vent cap I found is either a 4in or a 6in Selkirk cap. But Im not sure if i get the 6 inch, are the screws going to penetrate the cement enough to get a good grip? I dont want it to be blown off in the future. What is the proper way to do this job?

2 Answers 2


That flue pipe looks like "Transite" pipe which was used on some gas only appliances before about 1960. When I got into the heating business in the late 1960's nobody was still using it. There were better alternatives. If it is transite, it probably contains asbestos. I don't know of any caps available for use on this product. You could take a standard 6" cap and slit the bottom connection in about 6 sections and bend the slit pieces inward and use a large hose clamp to hold the cap to the old pipe. You could "GOOGLE" transite to learn about this pipe. Hope this helps.

  • Thanks for your knowledge! But just to be sure i get the right item. Can you provide either Homedepot or Lowes item url links for the "Bottom Connection" you stated? And how long is "6 sections"? The 6inch duct i found at hd is at least 2ft. But the flue pipe is only about 1.5ft. Thanks. Nov 19, 2018 at 21:49
  • I also found a item called the 3 in. to 5 in. Adjustable Versa Cap, Do you think i can use this without "bottom connections"? homedepot.com/p/3-in-to-5-in-Adjustable-Versa-Cap-3050/… Nov 19, 2018 at 21:57
  • 1
    That versa cap should work since you said that the diameter of the flue pipe is 4.75".. Put it on and you will have a new chimney cap. If you want the cap to be a little higher, you could add a piece of 5" round duct to the top of the old pipe but I would not worry about it. Just install the cap to the cement pipe
    – d.george
    Nov 20, 2018 at 0:49

enter image description here

Finished installing the versa cap.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.