I bought an old house and this is the old kitchen drain setup:

enter image description here

Frankly I never "tested" it before I remodeled the kitchen completely. The old kitchen has drop-in sink and now mine is under-mount.

With the new kitchen, I found out the garbage disposal is only 1" above the drain (I used a shallower sink vs. deep sink previously):

enter image description here

Here is another view:

enter image description here

To connect (A) + (B) to (C), I am thinking of two options:

  1. I need to find a new (D) so that P trap is lower a bit and I have to find a pipe with a short L shape at the end to connect to (C)

  2. Find some "built-in T shape P trap like this:

enter image description here

I am not sure if such thing exists.

The question is: What piece or how do I even create the connection from sink + garbage disposal --> drain pipe outlet?


So I was able to figure out the right "configuration" for this:

enter image description here

I made (A) longer and cut a 90 degree elbow really short (B). But that required me to push down the plastic drain pipe at the wall a bit, like 3/4" or so.

The result is that the connection in green circle above ended up at an angle like so:

enter image description here

There was no leak at that point so I was OK but then there was a leak below BUT I tried to use a bit of plumber putty inside and the leak stopped:

enter image description here

I know plumber putty is not supposed to be used in this case but I had no other choice. I hope it lasts for awhile but please tell me if otherwise. The reason it was leaking is "probably" because the whole P trap was pushed down 3/4", causing the "lip" not getting flushed to the "mouth" of the P-trap. I was just guessing...

  • Are you able to access the plumbing below the kitchen if you wanted to run a new drain pipe? I would have a concern with blockage if you have to run up hill with a flexible pipe especially with a garbage disposal. Oct 31, 2018 at 11:21
  • I do have access to plumbing but we're talking about removing drywall below basement and do whole bunch of work which could cost >$500. The "run up hill" is my #1 concern so that's why I wonder if there is some "creative" way to handle the 90 degree turn within 1"
    – HP.
    Nov 1, 2018 at 5:04

2 Answers 2


You can buy t shape pipes. Look for double sink drain plumbing. Extend your p trap down more. It will still be an uphill battle. I might also suggest opening the wall at the drain pipe and below. See if you can lower the pipes there.

  • I finally found a T shape pipe with one side threaded and one without thread. I cut the 90 degree elbow longer and pushed the entire P trap down 3/4" to create enough space. That resulted in my UPDATE 1 above. Please take a look and advise if I do something really wrong. I know plumber putty is no good but it works and if the leak won't ever occur again (or few years), I am fine with it.
    – HP.
    Nov 2, 2018 at 4:25

When no rigid piece is available to connnect the drain, a flexible drain connector often is the easiest way to go. I actually use them on all drains I renovate.

For example: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings/FLEX-Drain/N-5yc1vZbqpfZ81c

  • I use Flex drain pipes for bathroom vanity but I am not sure if it is reliable and strong enough for kitchen which is used many times/day and flush "objects", especially with vibration from the garbage disposal. Is this recommended?
    – HP.
    Oct 31, 2018 at 6:02
  • Well where I live we do not tend to have garbage disposal in the drain, but I did connect my kitchen sink using a flexible drain pipe two years ago and since then and I never had any leaks nor blockages due to it. Seeing that a flexible pipe only costs a few dollars, why not try it and see it it works for you too?
    – user89225
    Oct 31, 2018 at 6:27
  • Flexibles pipes are often not to code in many jurisdictions. You should check your local plumbing code. Jun 26, 2021 at 21:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.