I have wooden storm windows circa 1943 that are still in good condition. I've had the panes re-puttied, and now need to do painting. A few of the storms have some minor wood damage as shown in the pictures below:

The wood is not rotted, just missing. Some have corners missing, (first picture) and there are some visible open joints (second picture).


  1. What is the best way to repair this sort of damage?
  2. I will prime with an oil based primer. When I paint, do I slightly overlap the paint onto the glass (a painter once said this is what I should do) or tape the glass up to the putty when painting?

enter image description here enter image description here

  • 1
    "and now need to do painting"... I would say that you "now need to do stripping and sanding", then priming and painting. Commented Oct 15, 2018 at 4:04
  • @JimmyFix-it Well, yes. :) I was including that in the painting, although I doubt that I'll completely strip all the old paint off.
    – Alan Munn
    Commented Oct 15, 2018 at 17:34

1 Answer 1


Since you've reglazed, there aren't many options for re-clamping the corners, so... do repairs with a two part wood filler ("bondo" in North America).

Regarding the primer, try to find out if it was latex or oil based putty (tip: if it dried fast, it was latex; if it can still be imprinted with your thumb after 3 weeks, it's oil), and match your primer to that. Your painter is correct -- you should overlap a 16th onto the glass.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.