I was watching several videos showing an installation of wire rope for a fence, and the lag screw swage stud on one end would be driven clockwise while the other goes in counterclockwise. That way it can be tightened correctly, which makes sense.

In the video, both terminal ends are the same, the only exception being that one has regular threading and the other one has reverse threading.

My question: how can I drive a lag screw swage stud counterclockwise? Would I need to buy one with this type of threading?

The reason for the question is that I want to buy something like this, but it doesn't include anything about reverse threading or going in counterclockwise. None of the items in this page mention anything like this.



2 Answers 2


Yes, you'd purchase swage hardware in both "hands". Swages in left-hand thread (LHT) are readily available, as seen here, for example.

The alternative would be to use swiveling swage fittings, which will allow you to tension the cables without regard for direction.

  • Thanks. That's the video I saw. The issue is that they're in Australia and I'm in the US.
    – rbhat
    Oct 8, 2018 at 20:11
  • How would the swiveling swage fitting work? Would it work with a 4"x4" wood post?
    – rbhat
    Oct 8, 2018 at 20:12
  • You said your question has nothing to do with availability. Whether a swage has a swivel is unrelated to the type of post. It simply allows the cable to spin at one or both ends.
    – isherwood
    Oct 8, 2018 at 20:13
  • But where can I buy something like this, but with regular threading and reverse-threading?
    – rbhat
    Oct 9, 2018 at 19:00
  • You're asking us to shop for you, which (as you well know) is off-topic.
    – isherwood
    Oct 9, 2018 at 19:03

Usually a turnbuckle is used for tightening wire rope the turnbuckle has 1 threaded eye that is normal right handed threads and one eye that has a left handed thread so as you turn the turn buckle 1 direction it tightens and the opposite direction loosens the tension.

Added 2 ways to tighten swage lags, #1 use a drill in reverse (it will probably need to have a low gear to have the torque my dewalt 3 speed with variable trigger will drive 1/2" eye lags so I know it can be done). #2 use a wrench on the flats.

  • Yes, but then I saw this option today and considered it since it's less expensivee than the turnbuckles.
    – rbhat
    Oct 8, 2018 at 17:01
  • 1
    If they are cheaper but you can't find them are they really cheaper?
    – Ed Beal
    Oct 8, 2018 at 17:04
  • They're available at amazon. My question has nothing to do with availability.
    – rbhat
    Oct 8, 2018 at 17:29
  • It is a left hand thread you spin them in the same way you would a normal swage lag but instead of turning clockwise you turn counter clockwise . I haven't used ccw lags but might be concerned it may loosen or tighten the twist on the wire rope. I know of 2 ways to install them #1 is to use a drill in reverse (if it has low gears to provide the torque) #2 is use a wrench on the flats. If this doesn't answer your question you may want to clarify it.
    – Ed Beal
    Oct 8, 2018 at 19:32
  • Thanks. The issue is that I can't find any in the US that have reverse/left-hand threading.
    – rbhat
    Oct 9, 2018 at 18:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.